History of Prata Sannita
The oldest part of this center of medieval origins called Prata Vecchia (now Prata Sannita), stands at the foot of a massive fortress dating back to the fourteenth century, which retains walls and cylindrical towers. From this point you can see towards the north the so-called ‘rava’ of Prata, the narrow valley crossed by the river Lete, which flows higher up with a waterfall from the Cavuto di Letino cave. In the valley there is the hydroelectric plant called Officina Lete, inaugurated in 1910 and now abandoned. There is also an old paper mill nearby.
The parish church retains elements of the fifteenth century, such as Patrio and the pointed arch portal. The cloister, dating back to the early 15th century, is decorated with Gothic capitals with plant motifs. The church of San Pancrazio, built in the sixteenth century on the remains of a previous cult building (eighth century), has a side portal with Lombard symbols and, inside, an eighteenth-century majolica floor of the Neapolitan school. The convent of S Francesco was built in the fifteenth century by the Pendone counts, who often stayed in the castle; in the church, in a cupboard on the right side of the transept, there are three mummies, probably belonging to members of the Pandone family. In the refectory there are fragments of frescoes from the Solimenesque school. Also worth visiting is the Scuncio Castle, home to the Museum of peasant culture and the War Museum.